With massive proliferation of mobile health monitoring devices and concern over managing patient compliance to therapeutic protocols, a large bio-pharma company saw an opportunity to leverage health information technology to better support their stakeholders. Health Advances was asked to help develop a strategy for real-time monitoring of patients with the chronic disease on which they were focused.
- Our client sought to identify and frame initiatives in which to invest R&D efforts that would support clinical decisions and disease management for patients with targeted chronic conditions.
- The client team was especially interested in designing a suite of tools to offer target patients that would improve disease management through the use of real-time patient monitoring devices.
- The client team had extensive experience and success with development of drugs, but conversely had less experience in product development.
- Before defining investment priorities the team needed a better understanding the requirements, processes and critical success factors associated with development and execution of a real-time symptom monitoring system.
Critical Questions to Address
- What advantages could a real-time patient monitoring system have on target patient groups?
- Which patients are most likely to use the system?
- Which patients are most likely to benefit from the system?
- What should be the critical success factors for product development and adoption?
- What are the realistic market opportunities for real-time remote monitoring systems and which features could be relied on to deliver desired functionality?
- How should the system development strategy support the product attributes that are most critical for differentiation and success?
Health Advances Approach
- Worked closely with a cross-functional client team to leverage existing market analysis data, scientific knowledge, and case studies and other data.
- Assessed the characteristics of the addressable population, successful analogs, and potential solution positioning for different potential solution features. Performed in-depth interviews with clinical and technical, industry knowledge experts who had direct experience in real-time patient monitoring.
- Benchmarked patient monitoring products and initiatives across a number of therapeutic areas that are more advanced in incorporating technology-oriented solutions.
- Defined critical success factors for product development and adoption success.
- Profiled consumer-based mobility sensors to evaluate how the feature sets compare to the product development requirements identified through the benchmarking evaluation and input from our client on desired features.
- Provided recommendations for a mobility solutions approach that aligned with our client’s priorities.
- Summarized extensive market and technology assessment for targeted real-time monitoring solution, including evaluation of strengths and weaknesses of different design characteristics.
- Developed recommendations and design plan including the distillation of core solution requirements.
- Distilled strategic options for a solution development approach that best aligned with our client’s capabilities and the characteristics of the target patient population.
- Produced a solution development plan detailing next steps for activation of our client’s strategy.